Well, I tell ya, nothing quite warms the cockles of my heart like pulling a beautiful loaf of rustic crusty bread right out of my oven. It’s not as complicated as it sounds! Yes, to make bread, sure, you have to roll your sleeves up and not be chicken about getting your hands a bit messy. But believe me, the reward at the end is worth every second of kneading and waiting!
Now, the magic of bread-making, I’ve discovered, lies in the process. You’ve gotta be patient and tender – it almost feels as though you’re caring for a sensitive little plant, you know? It’s an act of love, really. And your reward? Why, the heavenly scent of freshly-baked bread gently wafting through your home, of course!
And that moment, oh, that defining moment when you gingerly take out your rustic, crusty pride and joy – that’s what I live for! Just makes my heart dance a happy jig. Give it a love tap, and hear that satisfying thud. And then, the ceremonial first cut – it’s pure elation, let me tell you, revealing that soft, fluffy, flaky interior, steam curling up in a delicate swirl.
Breaking bread with friends and family, well, that’s the bee’s knees! Slather on some fresh churned butter, a dollop of homemade jam, heck even a generous spread of Nutella if that’s your jam, no pun intended! And voila! We have the holy grail of comfort food – ready to be gobbled up in mere seconds.
So, my friends, don your aprons, dust off your rolling pins, and let’s get the old ball rolling! It’s time to get your rustic crusty bread game on point. Believe me, nothing tastes as delectable as that bread, fresh out of the oven, that you’ve labored over with love. Bet your bottom dollar on that!
Let’s Taste This Dish!
- Kick things off by whisking together 3 and a half cups of all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large bowl.
- Slide in 1 and a half cups of lukewarm water and 1 and a quarter teaspoon of active dry yeast into the mix. Stir until the dough starts to form.
- Once your dough is ready, coat it gently with a thin layer of flour and cover the bowl with a clean dish towel. Let it rest for 2 hours in a warm environment to let the yeast do its magic.
- Preheat your oven up to 220 degrees C and place a Dutch oven with its lid on, inside to heat up for 30 minutes.
- Now, take that beautiful dough of yours and gingerly shape it into a ball, be careful, don’t knock out all the gas. Cover it again and let it bask in its glory while your Dutch oven heats up.
- Transfer your risen dough into the preheated Dutch oven – careful not to burn your fingers. Cover it up with the lid.
- Bake it away for a good 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid to uncover the dough. Let it bake again for around 20 minutes more, until it turns a gorgeous, refulgent golden brown.
- Take your bread out of the oven and it’s ready- Gorgeous, rustic, crusty bread, straight from your heart to your oven to your belly.
- There’s your homemade rustic crusty bread. A thing of absolute beauty. Cut yourself a generous slice, dollop on some butter, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let us know on your social media platform of choice. Please use the hashtag #tastethisdish and let us know what you think!