The moment I pull out that chewy, fragrant ball of sourdough from its cozy, fermenting nook in my kitchen, a cheeky little grin begins to sneak across my face. Ah, my friends, there’s nothing quite like the thrill of staring down a fresh ball of sourdough and imagining just the right concoction to top it with. Today, my heart is hollering for pizza – brilliantly blistered and sumptuously slathered with delightful toppings.
Now, let’s get something straight – making your own sourdough pizza is certainly not a walk in the park. It’s a labour of love that requires a fair bit of elbow grease and a pinch of patience. But don’t let that scare you off, darlings. The result is light years ahead of anything you’d tear out of a cardboard box on a lazy Friday night.
Kickstarting the process, I create my sourdough base, my baby as I affectionately call it – a tantalizing blend of flour, water, and wild yeast that has been resting, bubbling away in cozy anticipation. It’s a sophisticated alchemy that boggles the mind and impresses the taste buds. And boy, when it hits the glorious heat of the oven, it puffs up and evolves into a crust that’s irresistibly crispy on the outside but maintains a delicate softness in the heart.
Next up – toppings. Here’s where you can let your imagination run wild. My philosophy? Keep it simple but high-quality. A thin layer of homemade tomato sauce, a generous sprinkle of mozzarella that’s so rich and creamy it should come with a health warning. Topped off with a handful of fresh basil leaves. Voila, a classic Margherita is created. But don’t let me limit your culinary creativity, love – the world is your oyster, or in this case, your pizza topping!
Finally, the moment of truth – into the fiery maw of the oven. It’s off to a blistering hot vacation where the flavors intertwine, making fabulous memories on that sourdough base. Minutes later, out it comes, the smell wafting into your nostrils, the cheese bubbling like a molten golden lake, and the crust crackling under the weight of its delicious cargo.
Nothing in life is guaranteed, folks, but I promise; one bite of this sublime sourdough pizza and you’ll be head over kneading heels in love. So roll up your sleeves and give it a whirl – the proof, as they say, is in the pizza!
Let’s Taste This Dish!
Sourdough Pizza Ingredients:
– 400g of Sourdough Starter
– 600g of Bread Flour
– 15g of Fine Sea Salt
– 350ml of Room Temperature Water
– Extra-virgin Olive Oil for greasing
– Your Preferred Pizza Sauce
– Your Favorite Cheese (I’m partial to a fresh Mozzarella for a classic Margherita style)
– Fresh Basil Leaves
Steps to Prepare Sourdough Pizza:
– In a large mixing bowl, combine your sourdough starter, flour, sea salt, and water. Stir until a rough dough forms.
– Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes, until it’s smooth and elastic.
– Place the kneaded dough in a large bowl greased with the olive oil, cover it with a damp cloth, and allow it to rise for about 5 hours, or until it’s doubled in size.
– Preheat your oven to its highest temperature (usually around 500F or 260C), preferably with a pizza stone or a sheet of baking paper.
– Divide the dough into four equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one quarter of the dough into a circle of your preferred thickness.
– Transfer the rolled-out dough onto your preheated pizza stone or baking paper.
– Spread a thin layer of your favorite sauce evenly over the dough before sprinkling on your choice of cheese.
– Pop the pizza in the flaming hot oven to bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
– Once you’ve removed your pizza from the oven and allowed it to cool for a couple of minutes, garnish it with your fresh basil leaves.
– Slice into your homemade masterpiece and enjoy!
If you choose to include any meaty toppings in your recipe, always remember to use a food thermometer to verify that it has been cooked to its safe cooking temperature. Food safety is a prime ingredient in any recipe, after all. It will help ensure a savory, and safe, eating experience. Enjoy your culinary adventure!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let us know on your social media platform of choice. Please use the hashtag #tastethisdish and let us know what you think!